Thursday, January 8, 2009

KEVIN CHALFANT

Kevin Chalfant, in my opinion is one of the greatest singers out there. The man has a golden voice, that can be soft or powerful, and a range to match. Not many people know of Kevin, but he has been around for many years, singing in bands like The Storm, Two Fires, 707, Steel Breeze, and Shooting Star. I may not know the whole story, but I can say I know a lot of his music. Kevin was rumored to take Steve Perry's place back in 88 when Perry left the group Journey. Then in the mid 90's before Journey's Trial By Fire cd, Kevin was in the group doing a few shows for the band. The band was to start recording with Kevin, when Perry decided he wanted back in Journey, so they sent Kevin packing, along with Gregg Rollie. Would have loved to have heard a Kevin lead Journey, with Neal, John, Gregg, Smith, and Ross on cd and stage. But it was not meant to be. And yet again when Perry bailed on the Trail tour they went with Steve Augeri (who had a good run with Journey). And yet again when Augeri lost his voice on the Generations tour, the call went out to Kevin, who this time couldn't be there on Journey's time frame. Again, with Augeri and Jeff Scott Soto out of the picture, I was once again hoping for a Kevin led Journey, but again, it is not meant to be.
Even without Journey, Kevin has put out some fantastic cds, and some of them have been done with past and present members of Journey. The cds I have by Kevin are reviewed below, and I can strongly recommend buying his cds. If your a Journey fan, there are times when his music is more Journey than Journey themself.
SOLO CDS
Running With The Wind (A-)
This cd was done between Storm cds, and has a more laid back feel to this cd when compared to the two Storm cds. The first 5 songs on the cd are just plain great. The soul coming from Kevin's voice is beyond belief. Kevin shows he is not a Steve Perry clone, although the compression will always be there. Kevin takes a natural approach to his singing being more his self, than trying to sound like Perry.
Love Changes Everything is a good example of this. On this cd, he is more himself, which is always a good thing. Kevin voice shows such power on this song and through out the cd.
The last 4 songs fail to match the power of the first 5, but still come across strong. It is just that the first half of the cd is very strong, and over shadows the second half of the cd. The only song on the cd, I usually skip is Hurricane, which is the only weak link to a other wise great cd.

Shadows Fade (A-)
This is a treasure indeed. Twisted Again starts the cd off on the right foot. Awesome vocals and a very powerful song. Sooner Or Later is another good rocker. The cd rocks for the most part and very uptempo. Best guitar work since the Storm days. Speak shows off the miracle that is Kevin's voice. My only complaint, is that the cd is a little heaver in production than what I am use to with Kevin, but it doesn't take away from the music or the voice.

Back to Square One (A)
This a Christian hymn cd of traditional songs like I Have Decide To Follow Jesus, How Great Thou Art, At The Cross, Just As I Am, are just some of the 10 hymns on this awesome cd. When I saw How Great Thou Art was on this cd, I was both excited about it and dreading it. I didn't know how Kevin would sing it. Go for the Elvis live cut on the basic hymn. I was wanting the Elvis and also hoping he wouldn't do it. And by Elvis, I mean vocally cut loose, and rip the song. But he didn't. And really that is a good thing, because this is praise cd of worship. And vocally showing off would be defeating the purpose and putting the spot light on you and not Christ.
The term Back square one means to go back to the beginning, and in today's age when some Christian rock can not be told from regular rock, this cd is a true pleasure to hear.

Christmas With Friends (A)
My favorite Christmas cd. Traditional songs and rockin Christmas songs all on one cd. Kevin brings them all to life in awe inspiring vocals. This cd is in heavy rotation every year from Thanksgiving to Christmas. The best out there.
Fly 2 Freedom (A)
Kevin has often been compared to Steve Perry through out his career, and now he has done a Journey tribute cd. Journey's hits are here and we get to see how Kevin would have done fronting Journey. Don't Stop Believing', Faithfully, Lights, Open Arms, and Send Her My Love are the stand outs on this cd. But it is Separate Ways (an awesome Journey song) that falls flat. Kevin does a stand up job on the song but it the retro fluffy keyboards that really hurts the song, the song is still very listenable, but it takes away a lot of the punch that this song is known for. Rest of the cd and its songs come off very good.
Some have gotten mad over Kevin doing these songs, trying to be Perry, but they have the wrong idea. this is a cd of tribute to one of the greatest bands out there, by one of the greatest voices paying homage to another great voice. This cd isn't meant to replace your Journey collection, but give others take on the songs. And this take is very good indeed.

with the Storm.





The Storm (A)

When I first heard the lead off single for this cd, I've Got A Lot To Learn About Love, I just knew that Journey was back inaction with Steve Perry. I went in the music store asking for the new Journey cd, no body knew what I was talking about, until I mentioned the song on the radio. They handed the Storm cd to me and I sat in the car listening to it, before going home. I was blown away!! How could a group sound this much like Journey and not be Journey. You Keep Me Waiting, awesome song to open the cd with, and it just got better. Kevin never heard of him till I listened to this cd, and I have been a fan ever since, buying new and back catalog cds by him. Steve Smith and Ross Valory sounded tight together, but they should, they were Journey's rhythm section for over 10 years. Ramos, a great axeman had enough of Neal Schon's sound to add to the Journey sound. But the big surprise was Greg Rollie. Greg never sounded better on keys, and turned in his best vocals up to that point. His lead vocals on In The Raw, Call Me, Take Me Away, Still Loving You,are smooth, yet emotional. Better than anything he has done with Journey or solo. But the BIG winner was Kevin, him and Rolie teamed up vocals on some songs for the pure-Escape feel of Journey. But when Kevin was alone on vocals, in that time he was untouchable. Two of the most vocally stunning songs were Show Me The Way and the closing song Can't Live Without Love. Those songs showed that Kevin could handle Perry legacy. The Storm did Journey has good as Journey if not better.



Eye of the Storm (A+)

This cd is even better their debut cd, and that was great. Ever song has a purpose and that is to please. Don't Give Up starts of the cd a rockin and the cd never really lets you down from there. The band sound even more Journey like but at the same time towards their own sound.
Long Time Coming is my favorite song on the cd, and one of my top songs of all time. Kevin is fantastic on this and rest of the songs. While Gregg again has some of his best vocals too. And songs like Come In Out Of The Rain, What Ya Doing Tonight, To Have And To Hold, and Give Me Tonight could have fit on any Journey cd. A Shame the band split up do to record company politics.

with Two Fires
Two Fires (B+)


A great debut cd by the band, shows a lot of promise of what is ahead for the band. CD has strong writing, playing and production. Josh shows a strong hand on the axe, and Kevin is vocally awesome. My Love Will Be There is an awesome song to open the cd, and sets the tone for rest of the in what to expect. A Mans Gotta Do What A Mans Gotta Do will have you singing along. Summer of Love, Remember, I Won't Give Up On Us are other stand out songs on this cd. Rest of the cd is pretty good, one or two songs are a little weak, but other than that....This is a cd I put in a crank up from start to finish.


Ignition (B-)



There are a few things that are disappointing about this cd. One is the songwriting, with the talent involved in this cd, Kevin and Josh, plus Survivor's Jim Peterik, one would think that this would have been an outstanding cd. But it seems to be rock by the numbers. Two is the production, after the first Two Fires cd and The Storm cds, this seems to be almost demo quality sound. But Ramos and Kevin sound awesome, just wish they were going somewhere in the song. A few of the songs seem to really have no meaning. There are some shining stars on this cd. Songs like I Will Remember You, Ignition, and I'm Falling. Rest of the songs are not skip or turn down poor, but they don't have the crank it up or sing along quality you expect from Kevin. Still not a bad cd to own, just not one of his best.

with 707


Mega Force (C-)


This is my lest favorite cd with Kevin on it. The production really bites and the so does most of the song writing. Like Shooting Star, 707 as never really been a group I have really liked or followed. The copy I have is the 2006 bonus track re-issue. If memory serves me right, the original came out in or around 82. There are several problems with this cd that I do not like. One the bonus material is pretty bad. The productions sound like it was pulled right off the LP and not remastered, has a very hollow and shallow feel to it. The songs are lame and the music is just about as lame. Kevin singing is not that good either. Sounds like it was cut vocally in one weekend, with Kevin having a cold and sore throat
Having said that there are a couple of bright spots that save this cd from doom. Namely Can't Hold back and Mega Force. This very very seldom seems the inside of any of my cd players.



with the Vu
The Vu [Also know as Phoenix Rising by Kevin Chalfant] (B)



(one of several covers I have seen)

Kevin teams up Journeyman Ross Valory to make a solid cd. Some stand out songs are Keys to the City, Who You Gonna Believe, One Track Mind, and So Long. An early cd that should have got Kevin the Journey job back when Perry first left the band. The other songs hold there own, and there is really nothing I dislike about this cd.

with Shooting Star
Circles (B)
I have neverr been a Shooting Star fan, and I was hoping that maybe with Kevin in the band that would change my mind. I have to say it did not. When I first got this cd, and the only reason I bought was due to Kevin being in the band, I was not impressed. I listened to it about 5 or 6 times and then put it up on the shelf. From time to time I would give it a play, and never really warmed up to it. But something as happened over the past year, I have started to like the cd. Guess I never really gave it time to grow on me. Maybe part of the problem was Kevin was involved in the writing of the songs, except for one. Maybe it was the production. What ever the problem was, it was either me, or I grew use to the music. Runaway and What Is Love were the stand outs on the cd. But songs such as Borrowed Time, Everybody's Crazy, Temptation, I'm A Survivor have call be songs that I play on a regular basis. While George's Song gets skipped every time, rest of the cd seems to be filler that depending on my mood is either passed on or turned down.
Kevin's singing is good as always, the music seems a little lifeless at times. The problem I have had with Shooting Star in the past. Goes to show no matter good a singer is, if the playing and/or the writing isn't any good, the cd will never be above average (look at Steve Perry's For The Love Of Strange Medicine cd).


STEEL BREEZE
Still looking for this cd, been out of print for years. Downloaded their debut cd (without Kevin) the other day, and it pretty good. Also been looking for the cd that has is Hold Onto Your Vision song. Found a utube link so here is the down load of it....


Anyone know where I can get the two above cds, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

StoneCold from MR here

Enjoyed the reviews, agree on all the ones I have.

You should do a Hugo review if you have his cds.